WRITTEN BY WILLIAM GOLDMAN
Bryan Davidson analysis -
I like to break a story down into five basic beats:
- Exposition: The stakes for your main character are established.
- Complication: The stakes that have been established are put in jeopardy.
- Crisis: The stakes are forced – your main character has to act.
- Climax: Your main character makes a decisive action, which brings him or her closer to achieving or losing the stakes.
- Resolution: The stakes are won or lost.
What I like about this episode is that all five beats are hit in miniature – in four minutes! In this clip, the breakdown is:
- Exposition: Butch is returning to his Hole in the Wall gang, which he runs.
- Complication: Harvey challenges Butch’s leadership, proposing a plan of his own.
- Crisis: Harvey doesn’t back down, and challenges Butch to a knife fight.
- Climax: Butch outwits Logan, and defeats him.
- Resolution: Butch regains control of the Gang – and adopts Harvey’s plan.